The goal of React Fiber is to increase its suitability for areas like animation, layout, and gestures. Its headline feature is incremental rendering: the ability to split rendering work into chunks and spread it out over multiple frames.
Its main goals are:
- Ability to split interruptible work in chunks.
- Ability to prioritize, rebase and reuse work in progress.
- Ability to yield back and forth between parents and children to support layout in React.
- Ability to return multiple elements from render().
- Better support for error boundaries.