A sandbox is a copy of the production environment/ organization and it is used for the purpose of testing and development. It’s very useful because sandboxes are completely isolated from your Salesforce production organization, so it allows you to test out new ideas on the duplicate database without disturbing the original production environment.
You can use the sandbox whenever you want to test a newly formed Force.com application or Visualforce page. Instead of testing it directly in production, you can develop and test it in the sandbox organization. Using this, you can develop the application without any difficulty and then migrate the metadata and data to the production environment. Doing this in a non-production environment permits developers to freely test and experiment with the newly created applications.
There are four types of sandboxes in Salesforce:
- It is a copy of the production organization, it copies all the information of an application and configuration to the sandbox. It is mainly used for the development and testing task in an isolated environment.
- This type of sandboxes has limitations of up to 200MB of test or sample data. You can refresh a developer sandbox once a day.
Developer pro sandbox:
- It copies all of your organization’s reports, dashboards, apps, price books, products, and customizations under setup. But it excludes all of your organization’s custom and standard object records, attachments, and documents.
- This type of sandboxes has limitations of up to 1GB of test or sample data. We can refresh developer pro sandboxes once a day.
Partial data sandbox:
- A partial data sandbox is a developer sandbox plus the data you define in a sandbox template, which is intended to be used only as a testing environment. It includes the reports, dashboards, price books, applications, products, and customizations under the setup (including all of your metadata).
- Additionally, these sandboxes can have your organization’s custom and standard object records, documents, and attachments up to 5 GB of data along with a maximum of 10,000 records per chosen object.
- A partial data sandbox is smaller compared to a full sandbox and has a shorter refresh interval. You can refresh partial data sandboxes every 5 days.
- Sandbox templates permit you to select specific data and objects to copy to your sandbox, thus you can control the size as well as the content of each sandbox. Sandbox templates are available only for partial data or full sandboxes.
- It is a replica of production including custom and standard object records, attachments, and documents and is used only as a testing environment.
- You can refresh full copy sandboxes every 29 days.