Kaitlyn Cimino / Android Authority
- A new leak suggests the Apple Watch series 7 will be larger than ever with higher resolution displays.
- The increased screen real estate will be utilized by several new watch faces.
- We don’t know when Apple will launch the new smartwatch, but it should be in September.
It’s pretty easy to make a good case for why Android smartphones are better than iPhones. However, when it comes to smartwatches, that discussion becomes much more difficult. Apple is basically the king of the smartwatch market, and it looks like the next model is going to feature some big changes.
According to Bloomberg, Apple could be planning to increase the overall display size of the Apple Watch series 7 by a significant amount. This would be the first time Apple increased the size since 2018 with the Apple Watch series 4.
Bloomberg posits that the series 7 models could be marketed as 41mm and 45mm devices, as opposed to the 40- and 44mm models we see today. That might not sound like much, but that larger case size could allow for a much larger display — up to 16% larger, by Bloomberg‘s estimates. It appears the 45mm model could come with a 1.9in display, a sizable increase over the 1.78in screens on the series 6 devices.
That also could mean an increase in resolution for the Apple Watch series 7. It’s possible we could see a 396 x 484 resolution on the largest series 7, a decent jump over the 368 x 448 on the larger model in series 6.
Apple Watch series 7: More screen, more watch faces
Apple wouldn’t increase the size of the Apple Watch display if it didn’t have a good reason. According to Bloomberg, that reason could be to give you more information through a series of new watch faces.
Sources speaking to the publication claimed Apple has at least five new faces on the way:
- Modular Max: This could show a large digital clock face along with one small complication, similar to the current Infograph Modular face. However, it could also show larger complications that span the length of the display stacked on top of one another, giving you much more info all at once.
- Continuum: This watch face allegedly changes as the day progresses to give you relevant info for you at the relevant time.
- Atlas: Somehow, this watch will show all 24 world time zones at once. That seems like it could be a lot of info all at once, but there are existing Apple Watch faces that pull this off.
- Faces for branded watches: There could be Nike- and Hermes-branded versions of the Apple Watch series 7. These watches would also get unique faces you can’t get anywhere else.
We don’t have any clue as to when Apple will launch its next watch. However, we are relatively certain it would launch alongside the iPhone 13 series, which will likely land this month. Stay tuned, as Apple is sure to distribute an invite to that event in the coming days.